About this page
This page contains materials for the VTK-m tutorial.
There are two options for running code:
- Building VTK-m on your own machine. For more instructions click here.
- Running our VirtualBox image with VTK-m installed. For more instructions click here.
Sections below describe how to pursue each of these options.
Download and build VTK-m
The process to build VTK-m:
- Download V1.5.0 here.
- (note the build page assumes you will be accessing the master via a git clone, but we encourage you to use the released version for the tutorial)
- Do not enable the TBB, OpenMP or CUDA support, at least at first.
- (we stand behind our support for these backends, but it is good to start simple)
In all, your process on Unix/Mac should be something like:
# (download VTK-m 1.5.0) # tar xvfz vtk-m-v1.5.0.tar.gz # mkdir build install # out of source build # cd build # cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../install \ # -DVTKm_ENABLE_TESTING:BOOL=OFF \ # ../vtk-m-v1.5.0 # cmake --build . -j 4
The main instructions to download and build are here. That said, we recommend following the instructions above.
The process to build code examples:
- Download the examples for the tutorial [ here].
Your process on Unix/Mac should be something like:
# (downloads from above) # export P=/path/where/you/want/to/place/tutorial/examples # export D=/path/to/where/your/browser/downloads/files # cp $D/VTKm_tutorial_examples.tar $P # cd $P # tar xvf VTKm_tutorial_examples.tar # places tutorial files in $PWD # cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="<path_to_vtkm-installation>/" # cmake --build . # ./tut_io # run 1st example # ls out_io.vtk # confirms 1st example successfully completed
Download Virtual Box image with VTK-m
The Virtual Box instance with VTK-m installed can be found here. VTK-m files can be accessed in the "/home/vtkm/Softwares/VTK-m/"
- The `build` directory is where VTK-m is built using `CMake`.
- The `install` directory is where VTK-m is installed.