About this page
This page contains materials for the VTK-m tutorial.
There are two options for running code:
- Building VTK-m on your own machine.
- Running our VirtualBox image with VTK-m installed.
Sections below describe how to pursue each of these options.
Download and build VTK-m
The process to build VTK-m:
- Download V1.5.0 here.
- (note the build page assumes you will be accessing the master via a git clone, but we encourage you to use the released version for the tutorial)
- Do not enable the TBB, OpenMP or CUDA support, at least at first.
- (we stand behind our support for these backends, but it is good to start simple)
In all, your process on Unix/Mac should be something like:
# (download VTK-m 1.5.0) # tar xvfz vtk-m-v1.5.0.tar.gz # mkdir build install # out of source build # cd build # cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../install -DVTKm_ENABLE_TESTING:BOOL=OFF ../vtk-m-v1.5.0 # cmake --build . -j 4
The main instructions to download and build are here. That said, we recommend following the instructions above.
The process to build code examples:
- Download the examples for the tutorial here.
Your process on Unix/Mac should be something like:
# (downloads from above) # export D=/path/to/where/your/browser/downloads/files # cp $D/VTKm_tutorial_examples.tar . # tar xvf VTKm_tutorial_examples.tar # places tutorial files in $PWD # cd VTKm_tutorial_examples # cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="<path_to_vtkm-installation>/" # cmake --build . # ./tut_io # run 1st example # ls out_io.vtk # confirms 1st example successfully completed
Download Virtual Box image with VTK-m
The Virtual Box image with VTK-m installed can be found here.
To be able to use this image you'll need to have the Virtual Box software installed. Please follow the instructions provided here.
The internet connection at the tutorial venue may discourage the requested downloads, in that case please ask the presenters for a flash drive with the required material.
The username/password to access the material on the VM are vtkm/vtkm.
- VTK-m source code and build can be accessed in the "/home/vtkm/Software/VTK-m/"
- The source code is available in the "vtk-m-v1.5.0" directory
- The build files are available in the "build" directory
- VTK-m has already been installed for use by the example code