Teleconference 2021-03-03

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Attendees: Ken Moreland (SNL), Ollie Lo (LANL), Matt Larsen (LLNL), Berk Geveci (Kitware), Dave Pugmire (ORNL), Nick Davis (SNL), Sujin Philip (Kitware), Terry Turton (LANL), Hank Childs (UO), Nick Thompson (ORNL), Silvio Rizzi (ANL), Vicente Bolea (Kitware)

ECP Updates

  • Staffing changes
  • Tasks for Q3
    • Need to review them have them to Ken today
  • ECP Annual Meeting
    • Registration is open
      • Will be virtual, registration is free
      • Everyone funded by ECP/VTK-m should register and plan to attend at least part of the meeting
    • Our project will need to create a poster
      • Looks like the design will be a traditional poster
      • Not totally clear how the poster session will work
      • Looks like they are planning on using a virtual meet space.
  • Let's think about possible highlights
    • App engagement
    • Success with porting (e.g. run on Aurora)
    • Engagement with other ST teams (e.g. using Kokkos)
    • WDM
      • Submitted highlight on integration with EFFIS
      • Expect to submit another highlight when used in a big run
    • Possible highlight slide on particle advection with WarpX (Matt).

Porting Activities

ECP task updates

ECP/VTK-m Project Management


Vicente will work on making a release. Matt has requested the release happen right before the removal of virtuals from implicit functions. We will start with a branch and a release candidate that Matt can add fixes to. Matt will be something of a guinea pig for this.

Wiki will go away at some point (and will definitely move soon). We should avoid using it for anything other than these notes.

We need some redesign design workflow for branchy release process

  • When we create a VTK-m release, we have a branch for that release (at least until the subsequent release).
  • New feature development continues on the main branch
  • _Bug fixes_ happen off the release branch
    • Get merged to both the release branch and the master branch
  • This in principal should already be supported by GitLab
    • Just create a merge request on a different branch
    • Will need to add support to gitlab-push
      • Ask VTK folks. They might just have a select few to do a special process.
    • Need to check that bot stuff works (CI builds, Do: merge, etc.)

Should think about releasing VTK-m 1.6, 2.0.

Filter redesign requirements:

Matt working on WarpX highlight.

Rename master branch?

  • Need to wait for some changes to git before the transition (for some automated features of repo).
  • Can we for a time have a master that mirrors the new default?
    • Don't know, but seems possible. Will have to look into that.